Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has been in heat and bleeding now wks off and on. Is

Customer Question

My dog has been in heat and bleeding now for 2 wks off and on. Is this normal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, is it normal that she act as if she is and has been pregnant and carry a stuffed animal around like it is a baby?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Proestral (proestrus is the stage in the heat cycle just prior to estrus/the period when she would be receptive to a male) bleeding may persist for up to 3 weeks although the average is 9 days. Acting pregnant - actual pregnancy or pseudopregnancy (false pregnancy/pseudocyesis), however, isn't expected until 6-12 weeks after a heat period. We do see aberrant maternal behavior such as adoption of objects at that time. Please clarify the timing of Sophia's behavior for me.