Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 14lb Foodle has intervertebral disk disease and I've been

Customer Question

My 14lb Foodle has intervertebral disk disease and I've been told to keep him on a bland diet, baby food or boiled chicken and rice. He's always been fed the Science diet dry food.
I need to know how many cups of the soft food to give him daily, he seems to eat whatever I give him, but I don't know whether that's due to the new taste and texture or hunger.
Thanks, Jo
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

I'm not sure why your vet wants to change the diet. I don't typically change the diet in my IVDD dogs. I'll treat them with anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl or Prednisone) and other pain meds (Tramadol or Gabapentin). I don't change their diet. I would probably just keep giving his Science diet like you were doing. If he were vomiting, then I do a bland diet. In that case, a 14 lb dog would likely get ~ 1/2 cup 2-3 times daily. I don't think it's necessary here, though.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe he felt there might be some nerve impedance in the rectal area, but he is not having any trouble with those functions. It seems the most important therapy is keeping him on one level (no jumping, etc.). He is very active, loves to run around the backyard, throwing his ball up in the air and catching it before it touches the ground, jumping onto and off of the furniture, so we have been kenneling him near us in the house. I'm afraid he will cause more damage to his back because he is so active.
Do you ever recommend mild sedation or something to help him need less exercise?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Yes, keeping him from jumping is very important. I know this is the hardest part. If needed, I will occasionally add Acepromazine. This is a sedative to keep them down in the more active dogs.