Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 15 year old Bichon has started peeing in our bed the last

Customer Question

My 15 year old Bichon has started peeing in our bed the last two nights . She lets us know during the day when she has to go out. She seem normal and happy although she has lost some weight she is eating well. She is on Vetmedin and has been the last 5years and doing well with it. Last Feb she hat kidney failure but recovered ok and her blood readings went to a normal level. Last July I took her back to our Vet (who was on vacation ) another Vet took her blood test and called the next day to say we should have her euthanized sooner rather than later although she did not act sick at all at the time she also told us that her iron is low . I know she is old but otherwise seem to be alert and happy . Truth be told I am afraid to take her back to the vet because of the last experience. Any ideas? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is she urinating involuntarily like the urine is just leaking out?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Peter I am thinking the urin is just leaking out but I can not be sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no other symtoms only the ones I stated in my original note to you ,
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, if the urine is leaking out certainly it could be related to her kidneys. But, other possible conditions are: A weak urethral sphincter, this is when the sphincter that holds the urine in the bladder becomes weak and allows the urine to leak out. She could also have a urinary tract infection or bladder stones. All of these conditions are very treatable. I do understand your concern about going to the vet and the discussion about euthanasia. But, it sounds like she is clinically doing well, so, feel free to tell your vet from the start that euthanasia is not an option. They should not take offense to your decision. Once she is examined by your vet they will make a treatment plan for her episodes of urinary incontinence.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter