Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is pacing and panting. She normally does when she is

Customer Question

My dog is pacing and panting. She normally does when she is scared of something, i.e. fireworks. This time though, she keeps trying to pee, which I thought she was just marking for another dog, but it hasn't stopped for over an hour. My reg vet is closed nj ow, being it's 10pm. What can I do for her to make her more comfortable, or should I rush her to an emergency place.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had dry dinner around 5pm and aeat bone around 8pm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's not peeing, just trying.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Your dog appears to be stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine. A simple bacterial urinary tract infection is the most common cause of such behavior and uroliths (stones) and cancer (transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra) are additional less common concerns. Her vet will need to attend to her at your earliest convenience. While alarming, stranguria is rarely an emergency in the female dog. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.