Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I got a new puppy from the pound about 10 days ago (10

Customer Question

I got a new puppy from the pound about 10 days ago (10 months old). She has been sneezing a lot and mucus dripping from her nose. It seems to be getting better, but now my other dog has it. I'm 99% sure it's just a cold. No coughing, healthy eating, etc. Just sneezing and runny nose. I want to give a decongestant to help but not sure that's safe or which to give. I really really don't think there is a more serious issue here than a cold.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting me. I am sorry I was not online until now.

If she is eating and drinking, I agree it does not sound serious. It is safe to use children's nose drops like Little Noses in dogs: 1 drop in each nostril, once to twice daily.

Cough medications containing guafenesin and/or dextromethorphan are also safe. The dose is 1/8th to 1/4th of the dose on the label for people, depending on the size of the dog. You can also give Benedryl at one milligram per pound (25 mg for a 25 pound dog) twice to 3 times daily.

Be sure to read the label; pseudoephedrine is very dangerous in dogs. It is a decongestant, but can be dangerous or even fatal for dogs.

Let me know what other questions I can help with. Rebecca