Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog has a awful eye infection, please help. Barb

Customer Question

My dog has a awful eye infection, please help.
Barb
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog has an eye infection. When I am seeing a dog with eye problems there are several tests that I want to run first to make my diagnosis.

1) Schirmer Tear Test- this evaluates tear production. Any eye problem will not heal if there is not good tear production.

2) Corneal Stain- this evaluates the integrity of the cornea and look for ulcers

3) Cytology of the mucus in the eye- this looks for infection, possible fungal organisms or other inflammatory cells.

After I have all of these answers, I would then decide on medications to address all problems present. I would also place an e-collar on the pet to prevent them from damaging their eyes.

If, after a prolonged treatment, I would be worried that there is something much more complicated. I would consider taking Muffin to a veterinary ophthalmologist for further evaluation. You can find one near you at acvo.org.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem right now is that we are on vacation and we have muffin with us. We will not be home until the middle of next week.is there anything you recommend from the pharmacy for muffin until we rerun home? Barb
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I would definitely put an e-collar on her so that she cannot rub or scratch her eyes.

I would also use human saline eye wash (with no other additives) to wash her eyes twice daily. If we are worried that she has poor tear production, there are some human eye lubricants (usually recommended for "dry eye" in humans) that you can also apply to her eye. Make sure there are no "redness reducing" type chemicals in either of these products as those can cause severe injury to the dog eye.

Does this help? Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Muffin this evening? How is her eye? Is she felling better?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda