Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My tibetan terrier stepped on a bee and she keeps licking

Customer Question

Hello, my tibetan terrier stepped on a bee and she keeps licking it, she weighs 12lbs, she's 5 years old .. we can not find the stinger and our Vet is closed, we can not find anything else online other than applying ice and giving her 1mg per pound which would be 1/2 a 25m pill, is there anything else we can do? I can not see any other symptoms.. thanks you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. I believe you mean that you will give 1/2 of a 25mg benadryl. If that's not correct please let me know. You can apply a Hydrocortisone ointment (you can find it at your local pharmacy) 3-4 times a day and they may help with swelling and pain. Otherwise, the ice and the benadryl are appropriate treatments as well. If you have more questions please reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pill os 25mg and I would give her 1/2 of it.. do I give it every 8 hours?

That's correct. It may make her sleepy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What other symptoms do we need to look out for before we would take her to the vet

Watch for continued pain and any swelling in that area. An allergic reaction to the sting might cause hives, itching and difficult breathing. All those types of reactions are extremely rare however.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that is all I need to know than thank you,

That should cover it. You're welcome. Good luck. I hope everything goes well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more question, we could not find the stinger

More than likely she licked it out. It would be sticking out of the skin if it was still there. The problems you are seeing now are due to the reaction to the sting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great thanks

You're welcome.