Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My 12 yr old yorkie has a collapsing tracea.which only

Customer Question

My 12 yr old yorkie has a collapsing tracea.which only affects him occasionally. He was home alone for 8 hours today. Coming home he was in a full blown attack. We don't know how long he was like that today. Coming home we let him out of the cage and seemed normal, lost his footing and hit his head. He can't stand well, front legs give out. Trying to get himself to walk, it is not straight, circular at times, falling and disorientation. His eyes are full of yellow goop and only half open. He pooped on the floor, not what he normally does. We gave him his medicine but an hour and a half later he is not better. We gave him another dose. Breathing is labored at best. His temp is 101.6 if I did it correct. Did he suffer brain damage due to lack of oxygen?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that Tyler has collapsing trachea and had a severe episode this afternoon. Your description of his behavior does sound suspicious of brain injury from hypoxia (lack of oxygen). The good news is, that if he is still conscious, he has a good chance of full neurologic recovery.

I would recommend taking him to the animal emergency room tonight so that they can assess him. They may want to give him some steroids to reduce inflammation around his brain and in his airway and he will likely benefit from oxygen supplement in the oxygen cage (if they have one). This will also reduce inflammation around his brain.

Good luck to you and Tyler!

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Tyler this evening? Is his behavior back to normal? Is his breathing back to normal?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda