Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog just ate about 8 calming sleep formula pills from

Customer Question

Hello my dog just ate about 8 calming sleep formula pills from trader joes
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 pills per serving, servings contain 200mg L-Theanine, 30mg 5-HTP and 3mg Melatonin
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me how much your dog weighs?

Luckily these supplements are very benign and at the worse might cause mild sedation and loose stool but I want to confirm the weight to ensure your dog is not 5 pounds!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 40 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Great thank you. ***** theanine limited information is available for toxicity, but it is likely relatively non-toxic. A 13-week study in rats determined no-observed-adverse-effect-level (NOAEL) of 4000 mg/kg/day, the highest dose tested (Borzelleca et al. 2006).

Typical dose of melatonin is 3-12 mg daily so we are fine there.

I suspect we won't have any issues at all but you may have mild sedation and/or loose stools for 24 hours and then back to normal! Of course as with any medication there is risk of a reaction so monitoring for overly sedated and if loose stool is not subsiding in 24-48 hours a veterinary exam but at this weight I suspect your dog will be just fine :)

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the 5-htp? i've been reading that it can be quite toxic for dogs
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

It is actually used regularly in supplements for dogs with anxiety. The dose of 5-HTP used at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine for treatment of canine aggression is 1 mg per pound (2 mg/kg) orally twice a day so for your dog 40 mg. With an ingested dose of 120 mg this is well within the safe margin of error for this product...the toxic dose is 10.7 mg/ pound which is 400 mg ingestion. I can attach the article for you if you like?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Here is the link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10863592

My dog is on a supplement that contains the 5 HTP for a while now and he does great on it to control some of his Obsessive Compulsive Behaviors :)

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog doing at this point? Any issues? I would love an update!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I ended up taking my dog to the vet because after speaking with poison control, they said that the 5-HTP was dangerous and could lead to seizures.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

OK so sorry to hear that, did she have any symptoms? Is she alright?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is fine, but they had to induce vomiting and ended up giving her some other things to soak up the pills. Happy to report she's totally back to normal today.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

OK that is great news, I am so sorry for the scare! This is used in veterinary medicine at low doses and am so sorry the sequence of events that followed our conversation.

Here is a link to one of the medications used in dogs, called Nutricalm.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/tryptophan-nutricalm

I appreciate the update, if you would like me to forward the question to customer service to discuss a refund I am happy to do so...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything turned out fine, thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update, so sorry if the site is still giving you automated check ins more frequently !

Would you like the question forwarded to customer service since you didn't get answers as quick as you had hoped? Otherwise you can rate my responses so I can be compensated as an alternative...