Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

7 pound yorkie chewed diliazem

Customer Question

7 pound yorkie chewed diliazem
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me what mg the diltiazam was, how long ago, and whether Starlee is healthy for her 2 year old age?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
120 milligram pill yes she tells me about 10 minutes ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is healthy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correction she's eight pounds
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

The dose of dilitazem in dogs is 1 mg/kg initially so for a dog that is 7 pounds (3.2 kg) this is an ingestion of 37.5 mg/kg. As you can see this is quite a high dose. It is potentially lethal at > 50 mg/kg

Clinical signs noted after overdosage may include GI signs, heart block (a form of irregular heart rate), bradycardia, hypotension, and heart failure

Since your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 3/4 teaspoon) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If no vomiting or no peroxide available please get her to your local veterinary clinic asap to administer something to induce vomiting and give her activated charcoal to block any absorption from her stomach if the pill is not intact

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions. Time is of the essence in these situations...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I thought of the hydrogen peroxide but I wanted to be sure
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, good luck to you both. If the pill is not intact please have her seen by your veterinarian regardless as a precaution for evaluating any irregular heart rhythms. It simply is not worth the risk

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to check in on Starlee. Any vomiting with the peroxide? I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!