Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a 7 yr old Dachaund..he whines all the time is this

Customer Question

I have a 7 yr old Dachaund..he whines all the time is this normal or should I take him to the vet? Is he in pain or just an attention thing. He does have a disc problem so I was told when I got him and the vet verified that. Please help the whining is driving me crazy. He don't like to be left behind when I go and barks most of the time..he don't want me out of sight.....Is this .Normal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name Dr. Bruce and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question about Dakota. I need to ask a few questions to get a more complete history.

1) Is he having any mobility issues? Does he walk normally?

2) How long has this whining been going on? Days? Months? Years?

3) Is he still eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really he runs and walks ok. The whining ever since I have had him about 4 months my son had him before me for about a yr. yes he eats and drinks ok
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. Given that information, my suspicion here for him would be that his whining is a social / anxiety issue and not one that is a pain issue. Could he be vocalizing like this to get attention? Absolutely! I wouldn't suspect that this is due to a disc issue and you're good to ask that as disc problems and dachshunds go together. Usually when a disc issue is at hand, they will start to walk irregular, seem weak in their rear legs, and be painful. The whining can drive a person crazy. It is sometimes a hard thing to correct. Every time that he's been doing this and then getting attention has rewarded that behavior. Could he have some separation anxiety? Could some oral anti-anxiety medication help his situation? That is something that may be possible. The best thing to do would be to have him checked over by your vet so they can then do a trial of some oral medications to see if they help. Fluoxetine is one that I use daily on my dog to help with anxiety issues. The other simple thing that could help is to increase his activity. The more energy he expends on walks and play, the less he has for this behavior.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any home remedies for fleas? He bites and chews all the time. I have tried a few
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

The biting and chewing could be due to fleas, and it could be due to allergies. Dogs can have environmental (atopy) or food allergies that will show through biting, chewing of the paws and such. If you are actually seeing fleas on him, then that would point more in that direction. Some dogs can have flea allergies and they may be pretty much flea free, but if one gets on and bites them, they have a flare up of the itching. As far as home remedies for fleas, there really aren't any that I've found positive feedback on from owners. To be honest, there are lots of good products out there that are proven as far as their effectiveness and safety. Here is a good link on them.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=545

The best thing for at home treating of fleas is regular bathing and treating the environment with frequent vacuuming to try and remove the eggs, larvae, and pupae from the environment.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dakota. How is everything going?