Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I am in the process of adopting a pup, maybe 6 wks old now.

Customer Question

I am in the process of adopting a pup, maybe 6 wks old now. I live in massachsetts, the pup is in California. the breeder lowered the price of this pup, she is a female toy American eskimo pup. the breeder on the email said it was a tragic accident. a rat got into the whelping box of this adorable pup, and chewed off her right paw, and part of the left paw, which. will this pup have to learn on 3 paws, or will it need a prosthetic paw or two, and how expensive is it going to be for me to take care of this pup. she is adorable, I have seen pictures of her. the pup is $750, and there is a $300. holding fee. the breeder is going to take the pup back to the vet at 6 wks and then again at 8 wks and let me know what her outcome for the furture may be, an she said she would give me the vets phone no. if I want to call the vet myself, an she will return the $300. deposit if I cannot buy the pup. I now have a 7 yr. old female spayed chihuaha who we love, and she is very caring and motherly. can you help me decide on whether or not I should purchase this pup. she is a toy American eskimi pup, and the breeder says she will be about 15lbs at maturity. thanks, barbara
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear what happened to this poor puppy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. My name is Rebecca.

Do I have this right; the breeder is charging $750 for a puppy that is missing its two front feet? She only has part of a left front paw? I guess I am surprised she is charging anything since this puppy may cost the new owner a lot of money if she needs prosthetics made. Many breeders give away puppies that have less serious problems.

This does not sound like a reputable breeder. She let a rat get in with the puppies, and now wants what sounds like a high price for a crippled puppy.

If you have your heart set on this puppy, I would wait to see what the veterinarian who will be examining her in 2 weeks has to say before making a commitment, and talk to that veterinarian yourself. The problem with dogs missing all or part of a foot is that they walk on the stub, and that can lead to the skin wearing away, leaving an open wound that does not heal. It is hard to attach a bandage to protect the stump, because they tend to slip and fall off; you have to have prosthetics made or a custom made device with pads for the two feet, and a sling that goes over the shoulders so it can't slide off.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Can I answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

What did you decide about the puppy?