Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have an 11 yo boxer that was diagnosed today with anemia,

Customer Question

I have an 11 yo boxer that was diagnosed today with anemia, but we did not take any steps to find the cause because she was not eating, drinking, or walking when we went to the vet. I brought her home to wait until the ER vet could give her a transfusion, and she has since then been walking, eating from my hand, and licking ice.She will go back to regular vet tomorrow to determine the cause of the anemia.....and so my question is: would it be helpful to give her an oral dose tonight of and OTC liquid iron supplement? Like one children's dose, or no, because I don't know yet if it is iron def or another cause of the anemia?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am very sorry to hear that your dog has anemia.

There are three basic causes of anemia in dogs. 1) The bone marrow is not working and not making red blood cells. This is very unusual in dogs. This could be caused by iron deficiency from chronic blood loss, cancer in the bone marrow, kidney failure. 2) the immune system is destroying the red blood cells. This is fairly common and is either a primary immune problem or secondary to cancer or a blood parasite. 3) Blood loss/internal bleeding. This is the most common cause of anemia in older large breed dogs. I would recommend chest x-rays and abdominal ultrasound to look for sources of bleeding such as a tumor on the spleen, liver or kidney.

This was a long answer to your short question. As you can see from the information above, iron deficiency is actually very rare in dogs, so giving iron this evening won't be helpful to her. Iron supplement can also cause problems as it can cause nausea and constipation. Your best bet is to keep her as comfortable as possible this evening and be to your regular veterinarian first thing in the morning.

Good luck to you and your dog.

I hope this answer helps you.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi, How is your dog this evening? Were you able to figure out why she is anemic?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda