Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

We have a 16 yo spayed female lab. She has had recurring

Customer Question

Hi, we have a 16 yo spayed female lab. She has had recurring UTI's and incontinence for the last two years or so. Her most recent UTI was about 3 weeks ago, she got antibiotics and she just finished up about a week ago. Now since Sunday morning, she has not been acting normal. She isn't eating dog food, very little interest in human food, panting frequently, drinking much less than normal and isn't getting up on her own. She'll get up and walk on her own if we make her get up. We noticed her neck began swelling last and her lymph nodes began swelling. We took her to the vet today and she did the following: urinalysis, fecal sample, chest xrays. The vet said that her UTI was much much worse than a few weeks ago and she has become immune to the previous antibiotics. The xray showed no growths in her lungs and nothing in the fecal sample. The vet said that she may have cancer or its possible that the UTI is causing the lymph nodes to swell. She gave her two types of antibiotics
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
an antinflammatory shot. She told us to continue giving her the Tramadol and Gabapentin that she was already prescribed for pain and neurological issues (hind end isn't working well). Now tonight, the swelling seems to be getting worse (larger and firmer) and her panting has increased. Do you have any additional thoughts that the vet didn't mention earlier today? One other thing is that in order to determine if it's cancer, the vet would have to put her under anesthesia and shave her neck and pull out fluids and do a full oral exam (make sure it's not just a tooth going bad I guess). She said the anesthesia would be very hard on her because of her age and we elected not to do that at this time.
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your question today. I just have a few questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did your veterinarian discuss further diagnostics such as an ultrasound? Has she been straining to urinate at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other thing she said we could do is that in order to determine if it's cancer, the vet would have to put her under anesthesia and shave her neck and pull out fluids and do a full oral exam. She did not suggest an ultrasound. No, she has not been straining to urinate.

Thanks for the additional information. With the swollen lymph nodes, one test you can ask your veterinarian about is a fine needle aspirate of the lymph nodes. This involves taking a needle and syringe and attempting to aspirate cells from the lymph nodes. This does not require any sedation or anesthesia of any kind. This can rule out one form of cancer I tend to worry about in dogs with swollen lymph nodes called Lymphoma. I would also inquire about having an ultrasound done especially of the urinary bladder to make sure there are no tumors inside of the bladder or anywhere else in the body. Sometimes if nodules or masses are found, they can also be aspirated and the cells be sent off to the lab to rule out cancer as well. In most cases this does not require anesthesia as well.