Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

I read your answer to dogs drinking toilet bowl water and my

Customer Question

I read your answer to dogs drinking toilet bowl water and my 9 month old lab did last night and has thrown up about 4 times today. I wouldn't ask any ore questions but he's definitely not himself. Lethargic and lying around when he is usually destroying things with his 9 month old brother
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer! I'm Dr. Barbara, and I'll be happy to help you and Noah today.

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear that Noah isn't feeling well today. Unless you add anything to your toilet bowl water, it shouldn't be from his drinking from the toilet bowl.

Nausea and vomiting can be due to many different problems, both within the digestive track, but also from such things as liver disease, kidney disease and pancreatitis. Within the digestive track we would consider stuck foreign bodies, garbage eating, and infections. Because Noah is so young the first concern would be parvo virus. Has Noah been vaccinated against parvo virus (this is in the regular puppy shots), and if so when were his shots. . .how old was he?

When a dog is vomiting, the best thing is to offer no food and just a little bit of water. If this doesn't stimulate any more vomiting withing an hour you could offer him a small amount of water again. For a 9 month old lab I'd give about 1/8 cup each time. Expand the amount and decrease the time in between these drinks of water if he doesn't vomit further. I'd offer him nothing to eat until tomorrow AM, and do use the chicken and rice. . .again about 1/8 cup at first and wait one hour. If any of this causes vomiting, then he really should be seen so that he can be supported with fluids while a diagnosis is found.

Again, though, when was Noah vaccinated. . .please list all of his vaccinations. Thanks so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's had all of his shots up to date. He goes for regular check ups. I took him in and it turns out he has a fever so they do not know for sure why he is vomiting.

Thanks for getting back to me. Did they feel the need to support him with fluids. . .either under the skin or IV? Did they do any blood tests or xrays? These tests might lead to a diagnosis, and fluid support with anti-nausea drugs may bring him through his nausea.

How is he doing and did he have any tests?

I'm glad to know that he has been fully vaccinated.