Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My half border collie and austrialian mix is very ill.She is

Customer Question

Hello!
My half border collie and austrialian mix is very ill.She is 13 years old. For the last few months she have been scatching a lot on her legs and one front paw. We gave her a bath last month and her flea and tick drops. She also have problems getting up, sitting and walking. She does have seasonal allergy. Her right eye keep watering. For the last three days she have been shaking, trouble walking, loosing balance walking, standing and try to poop, three days of loss of apetite. This morning was the first time that she vomit. She is 5 years past due on her shots. What could be the reasons for her illness and what should me and my daughter do? I will not get my pay in two more days. Please advise.
Sincerely,
Margie XXXX
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There are multiple body systems affected and so it will be difficult for an online vet to clarify which - or all - are most important. For example...

Scratching legs/paw...atopy (allergies to environmental allergens) or food intolerance should be considered

Problems getting up, sitting and walking...general weakness, profound anemia, advanced osteoarthritis should be considered

Watering eye...perhaps from seasonal allergy but there are too many ocular disorders that cause epiphora (watering eye) to list in this venue

Shaking (a pain response, usually), trouble walking/losing balance...general weakness, profound anemia, myelopathy (spinal cord disorder), encephalopathy (brain disorder) are rule-outs

Standing and trying to poop - both constipation and diarrhea can cause those symptoms

Loss of appetite - can be caused by too many disorders to list in this venue

I understand your financial constraints. Please see what you can do to have Missy attended to by her vet. She'll need a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests +/- imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.