Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I boarded my dogs days, brought them home yesterday, and one

Customer Question

I boarded my dogs for 2 days, brought them home yesterday, and one through up all afternoon, and now both have diarrea.
Only difference in their food was I bought some science diet jerky strips.
They said to feed them chicken and rice, but should I be worried about poisoning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you all today!

Unfortunately the stress of a boarding situation can result in changes in the gi flora and therefore vomiting and diarrhea results. It can sometimes be effectively treated with a bland diet of white rice and chicken but if the diarrhea is not resolving, the vomiting recurs, or there is blood in the stool please consider a veterinary exam. Even though this is a common phenomena it doesn't mean that there might not be an issue that requires medical management for them.

Feeding small frequent meals of the bland diet will help bulk up their stools and reduce risk of vomiting as well. In addition, you can also give 0.25 mg pepcid (famotidine)/ pound every 12 hours to help settle their stomachs

I hope this makes sense but my first inclination is a stress enteritis related to the boarding. Even if boarded previously the stress can result in gi changes and unfortunately jerky strips are rich and may have contributed to this situation

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I can clarify anything today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For $20, I didnt read anything that I didnt already know.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am confirming what the recommendations were to your pets. If you have additional questions please don't hesitate to ask but if I have a patient that is showing these symptoms this is how I would advise proceeding

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I can certainly opt out to allow another expert to assist you further if you prefer?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, would you like this question sent to customer service at this point since no one else stepped in?