Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My puppies got into a box of lightbulbs last night,

Customer Question

my puppies got into a box of lightbulbs last night, searching your website for advice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Zoot and Zonkey and can understand why you'd be so worried about them.

I can reassure you that toxicity issues are low regardless of the type of bulbs which they might have ingested (if they did ingest any of them that is). The gases in light bulbs are not absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract and thus, aren't worrisome in this regard.

Foreign body substitution might be a worry, though, depending on how many were ingested. However, in most cases the glass fragments will pass with no problems although looser stools (with blood) might be seen.

I typically recommend that owners feed fiber such as whole wheat bread and increase the number of feedings to help move things along. Monitor the stools for evidence of the glass (usually seen within 12-24 hours or so).

Also monitor for signs of obstruction which might include vomiting, anorexia, lethargy and/or abdominal pain.

I hope this helps to reassure you about them. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Zoot and Zonkey. How are they doing? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sue,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoot And Zonkey. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb