Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 1 1/2 year old labradoodle. He's had one rabies

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1 1/2 year old labradoodle. He's had one rabies shot at about 4 months and did ok. I took him for another here last Friday and he has not been acting himself since.
Doesn't want to go out, lays around.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and your Labradoodle yet today

Often when we give a first vaccination they will not have a reaction because the body will not recognize the vaccination but when a second is given they can have a vaccine reaction. It is abnormal that the reaction is lasting several days without improvement and might warrant a return visit to your veterinarian for reevaluation

You can try benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours to see if that helps with this situation but it may cause increased sedation initially. If it is a vaccine reaction it should help him feel a bit better. But if not he may require steroids to suppress that immune response and put him on a road to recovery. In the future with this vaccination you should notify your veterinarian of this response so that preventative measures can be taken ahead of time to prevent his lethargy and overall changes since

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks but he was diagnosed with renal. Dysplasia as a pup but he had been doing really great until this shot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We disagreed with that diagnosis I mean he did get into some gun powder ad a pup and perhaps that influenced the blood work at the time
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Renal dysplasia is typically diagnosed with an ultrasound so this might need to be investigated further in the future

In regards ***** ***** current symptoms I do have this occur on occasion with a very healthy young dog and their second vaccination and is considered a vaccination reaction. I am not saying it is unrelated to the vaccination, it seems very probable it is but is unlikely having to do with his previous history when he was a puppy

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You think just waiting a bit would be wise he did have that ultrasound test. But we still think the results were related to the ingestion of gun powder
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I would try the benadryl for the vaccine reaction but if an ultrasound was done and indicates there are changes to the kidneys then this is fairly conclusive of changes unfortunately

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel bad if this rabies shit exasperated his condition
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shot. I meant to say
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

LOL I understood what you meant. I really do not think the two are related. A vaccination reaction is unrelated to any issues with the kidneys

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't u think a reaction would have been before now though. It was 4 days ago
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

A reaction can occur within 10 minutes of the vaccination or several days to weeks after the vaccination so yes it is quite probable it is from the vaccination

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

But again if he is not showing any improvement I would urge to have him rechecked to ensure there is nothing else going on that requires treatment

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I wanted to check in on you both to see how he is feeling after our conversation? I would love an update when you are able!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bill,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman