Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Dr. Jo, this weekend Freida Muffin aka the Muffin bled from

Customer Question

Hi again Dr. Jo, this weekend Freida Muffin aka the Muffin bled from one nostril when she was laying down and her eye rolled back. this was the first time this has ever happened. This was just after she returned from getting her adequan shot, but I don't
think it was the adequan. We rushed her back to the Vet, he examined her and sent her home with some eye drops. Please keep this part private. We live in Baja,(use satellite that is why my email & phone show up stateside) anyway we are setting up an appointment
for Freida in San Diego with our old Vet for a second opinion and to run the proper tests. I don't want to seem paranoid, but suspect because of her other symptoms (rubbing nose, breathing from mouth, backbreathing and sneezing) this is more than just an eye
infection. Prior to her bleeding from the nostril and eye rolling back, this last week she was sneezing and back breathing, but we both attributed that to this awful hot and humid weather we've been having here - although Freida has been in air conditioning
since this heat wave broke out last month. So, our worst fear now is that this could be something horrible like epistaxis and worse case nasal tumors. The vet in Mexico said he found no upper respiratory tract infections,so we'll see. Can't get in to see our
Vet in San Diego until next week. Also, when I suggested increasing the tramadol to 50mg a day the vet in Mexico told us we then would have a drug addicted dog. So, thank you for that current information. I'm not going to say anything to the Vet in Mexico.
Why the heck are we here? Long story, another time...15 years ago we thought it would be perfect to live on the beach away from the So. CA rat race, oh well live and learn. I'll let you know how the San Diego visit and exam goes. Freida aka the Muffin says
woof woof thank you too ! Margie***@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P.S. No need to respond, just wanted to bring you up to date thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I know you said no need to respond but I felt compelled to reply. You certainly are going through a lot with Freida, my goodness! It sounds to me like she is in excellent hands in your care and with you to advocate for her health.

As I'm sure you read, nosebleeds and symptoms of a unilateral nasal problem in an older dog are usually bad news. The most common cause is a tumor (often malignant). Other possible causes include dental abscesses and nasal foreign bodies (inhaled grass awns, for example) acting as a nidus for bacterial and/or fungal infections. All three problems are difficult to deal with, and usually require referral to a specialist for diagnosis and treatment. I'm afraid the outlook for most nasal tumors is very grim, and - if confirmed - your focus then becomes advocating for and protecting the patient's quality of life for as long as possible. Then you need a vet in your corner who is well-versed in palliative care who can help your dog through the end-of-life transition in the best manner this difficult thing can be done.

It is my privilege to help you, and it does my heart good to know Freida is in your care.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marjorie Grisak,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Freidamuffin Aka Muffin. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo