Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My dog ingested .5 mg of risperidone about 10 minutes ago.

Customer Question

My dog ingested .5 mg of risperidone about 10 minutes ago. He is a 68 lb chocolate lab of 2.5 years age other wise healthy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I have good news for you, we generally don't see any toxic problems until about 5x the dose your dog ingested. It is very likely he'll not have any problems. Generally the risks of inducing vomiting at this dose are higher than just letting the drug run it's course. If he is overly sensitive to the medication then he'll start acting drunk and if this occurs take him in to the vet for medication to counter act the symptoms. In most cases at this dose he should be just fine. If we were to see symptoms they'd be between now and 4 hours from now. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan