Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 13 year old lab had abdominocentesis yesterday and the

Customer Question

My 13 year old lab had abdominocentesis yesterday and the swelling is less pronounced but there is some swelling in the lower abdominal area that kind of jiggles when he breathes or walks. Before the procedure his belly was very taut like a balloon. I'm concerned about this area that is very puffy from basically his front legs all the way to his scrotum. It doesn't appear to cause him any pain. Is this just a reaction from the abdominocentesis, or is it now bleeding, or could it just be bruised ans inflamed from the procedure? He has had a chest x-ray, and there were many round nodules throughout his lungs. It is inoperable. He does have some difficulty breathing especially prior to the abdominocentesis, but his breathing doesn't seem to be as labored after the procedure. I'm just concerned about this new development of inflammation or whatever it is from the front legs to his scrotum that kind of hangs now since the fluid was removed. Should I be concerned about a new complication from the procedure or is this common afterwards? They removed about a pound and a half of fluid that was somewhat clear and pink, but then it turned to kind of a cloudy pink fluid halfway through the procedure. Any advise?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts on the many round nodules seen on the right lung x-ray?There must be 100 nodules about the size of a dime spread throughout the lung.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Buddy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The swelling you describe seeing from his front legs to his scrotum sounds like it is between his skin and body. It could be fluid that leaked out, after the abdominocentesis or it could be "dependent edema", fluid leaking out of his blood vessels and following gravity to the lowest area of his body.

Do you have any recent blood tests on him? If his blood albumin is low, then dependent edema can form, as well as the intra-abdominal fluid that was removed by abdominocentesis. Heart disease can also cause fluid to build up inside the abdomen as well as the dependent edema.

The round nodules in his chest could be tumors, or they could be some kind of infection. What you describe is what we see when cancer is spreading to the lungs, called pulmonary metastasis.

Is he anemic (low red blood cell count, pale gums)?

If you have any blood tests you can show me, that might be helpful. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. Can I help with anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Buddy doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?