Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is approximately 7 years old. We got m from an animal

Customer Question

My dog is approximately 7 years old. We got him from an animal shelter. We have had him for 5 months. He seemed like he was not housebroken when we brought him home. But the frequency of the accidents told us to take him to the vet. He was treated for a blatter infection. There were crystals in his urine. We took him back for a recheck, and they were just about gone. He was doing better with the accidents. About two weeks ago, the accidents started get more frequent again. We noticed spots of blood near the puddle. We took him to the vet and he put him on antibiotics again, and said that perhaps the earlier infection never really cleared up. The bleeding got worse. He was peeing out blood, puddles of it. We took him back to the vet. Unfortunately, we do not have the kind of money to spend on ultrasounds etc., especially since he is an older dog, and it could be cancer. The blood flow has been lessening. He does drink a lot of water, always has. He doesn't act like there is anything wrong. Have you heard of anything like this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- What is the name of the antibiotic he was/is on both times?

2- Did your vet do any xrays or blood work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Zenequin 200mg 1/2 tablet a day, I don't remember what it was last time.
He took X-rays, they didn't show anything.
We are going to get back to him tomorrow about having bloodwork done.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when we see bloody urine certainly it could be cancer. But, in a male dog we also have to consider prostate disorders. Important to also rule out systemic diseases like: Liver disease, coagulation disorder, etc. The fact that he showed response to the initial treatment on antibiotics I would be concern that there could still be a bacteria that may be resistant to the antibiotics. Doing an ultrasound or blood work is an excellent idea. But, if cost is a concern and your vet is not seeing anything on plain xrays and prostate examination is normal I would recommend you discuss with your vet about doing a urine culture & sensitivity (C&S); this test will attempt to grow any bacteria in the urine and it will provide a report listing a number of antibiotics that would be appropriate to treat the bacteria (s) that they isolate. If the C&S is negative then we know this is not related to an infection and we need to look in other places like blood work or ultrasound. Pending the C&S start him on a different antibiotic than Zenequin.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter