Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has diariaha. I bought the dogging diarraha medicine

Customer Question

my dog has diariaha. I bought the dogging diarraha medicine but it does not seem to be working. can I give him pedialyte for babys
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Any vomiting?

4- Any blood in the stool?

5- What is the name of the medication or active ingredient you are giving?

6- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only received the questions above. I replied to them. I have still not received an answer. My credit card was charged the appropriate amount. Why have I not received a reply after answering the questions sent to me?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am sorry I have not received the answers to the questions I submitted for this reason I have not answered. If you can please repeat the answers it will help me to answer your question. Thank you.

1- How old is your dog?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Any vomiting?

4- Any blood in the stool?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a min pin and around 11. Thursday night he ate some cooked hamburger. I left and later that night my boyfriend gave him a whole cup of dog food. The next morning he had the squirts. I have not seen him vomit and he is still peeing. Friday his stool wasn't as runny. It did look red but his dog food is red and it had a terrible oder. I have gave him doggy diarrah medicine that I bought. Yesterday he only had diarrah twice. I have made him oatmeal. I made him rice water and chicken baby food mixed. I gave him rice with 100 punkin, yogert and boiled chicken mixed. He has not had any meds today. He had a little diarrah this morning. I bought amodiam for children but he only weighs 10 and I had no idea how much t give him. I gave him pedialyte yesterday and today.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

What is the name or active ingredient of the dog medicine you gave him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is called anti diarrhea liquid with kaolin and pectin
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is possible he has diarrhea from eating the hamburger meat. Other possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give imodium. You can give him Pepto Bismol 1/2 teaspoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter