Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

16 yr old Golden, has had 3 seizures she did not tolerate

Customer Question

Hello, 16 yr old Golden, has had 3 seizures she did not tolerate the phenobarbital has very limited use of hinds, on prednisone and now is discharging pink urine. She's drinking a lot of water but has cut way back on her food. I hate to put her down but want an opinion, Thank You,
Sandy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry you and Clara are in this situation. Unfortunately with dogs and hind limb weakness they aren't always aware they have to urinate so their bladder fills beyond the normal amount and they also don't empty as well as a healthy dog so it predisposes her to a urinary tract infection. Add in steroids which also suppresses the immune system then the risk of a UTI can increase two fold...

The increased water intake is common with steroids as well and if she is having issues with eating while on steroids it might warrant beginning her on famotidine (pepcid) over the counter 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours approximately 15 minutes prior to meals and steroids to help reduce her upset stomach and improve her appetite

As far as comfort and whether it is time, I can give you some great handouts to help with this terrible decision. Often we look at quality of life as whether they are still doing any of their favorite things, whether it be a favorite toy or treat, sitting with you while on the couch, barking at the neighbors to name a few. In addition, do they still have the "light" in their eyes, meaning are they still responsive to their environment and you or are they dull, listless, and fading away?

Quality of life assessment handout: http://www.peacefulpetdepartures.com/quality-of-life-assessment/

Pain assessment handout: http://www.csuanimalcancercenter.org/assets/files/csu_acute_pain_scale_canine.pdf

I know this is a terribly difficult decision to make and I hope this information is helpful. Some areas in the country do have hospice care that can help guide you in this decision making process. There is a list of options below for you to review:

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/diagnostic-and-support/argus/pet-hospice/Pages/pet-hospice-resources.aspx

Please let me know anything I can do to assist you both in this difficult decision. Any questions or concerns I can assist with to clarify how to make this decision please don't hesitate to ask and please disregard any automated follow up questions by the site

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you