Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

We took my seven week old boxer to get s shots and deworming

Customer Question

We took my seven week old boxer to get his shots and deworming yesterday. He ate twice after the shots but has not eaten anymore food since early yesterday evening. He is passing worms and has runny poop. I'm having to clean it up quite a bit. Should I be worried he has parvo? He's still a little active but not eating at all. When he was scarfing down his food. I'm concerned.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Boxer boy. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your young Boxer who has gone off his food and who is passing very loose stool with worms in it. These symptoms are definitely a concern, and there are a number of possible causes for these. Given he only just had deworming treatment and a vaccination yesterday, these could be enough to put him off his food. It sounds like the deworming treatment has worked well, and the fact he has passed a number of intestinal worms means it was definitely warranted. Definitely make sure he doesn't miss the next lot of deworming treatment in his course (likely to be in another 2 - 4 weeks depending on the product that was used). The puppy vaccinations can sometimes cause inappetance, so this alone may be why your boy is currently off food. You will need to keep an eye on this however, and continue to try and tempt your boy. You may want to try him with a little fresh, boneless, skinless chicken breast tomorrow morning. We do have to consider other causes for your boy's symptoms here, and parvo virus or an acute gastroenteritis do fit on the list here. For this reason please continue to monitor your boy and also keep a check on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If your boy still turns his nose up at food in the morning, or if his diarrhea continues for more than another 12 hours, then make sure you get him back to your vet for a full check up. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also we did change his food from cheap food he was getting to blue buffalo puppy canned. If that help you with more info. He was covered in fleas and poop when we got him. I took him to the very next day after I got him. I'm so worried because his mama was skin and bones and I felt like I was saving him rather than purchasing him. Please help me I'm really worried.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Don't panic at this stage. As above, his symptoms are more than likely related to his first vaccination and deworming treatment rather than anything else. You are going to have to continue to keep a close eye on those parameters mentioned above however. Also be sure to get him seen if the diarrhea continues, or if you can't convince him to eat in the morning.

Best of luck,

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are these normal gums?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for sending those through. Yes - that is a nice salmon pink color. If you put pressure on an area of the gum, you will hopefully see that the color blanches, but comes back within a second or two. This is a good sign, but continue to keep an eye on his temperament and appetite, along with his feces over the next 12 hours or so.

Kind Regards,

Dr E