Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 9 pound pug got a hold of a bottle of hydroxyzine and it

Customer Question

My 9 pound pug got a hold of a bottle of hydroxyzine and it looks like she broke open two capsules. Is there anything that I can do. I can't afford the emergency vet here in Albuquerque
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl got a hold of a bottle of hydroxyzine and broke open two capsules.

What size (milligrams) were these capsules?

How much do you believe she may have ingested (1/4, 1/2 of the capsules)?

How long ago did this occur?

How is she behaving now?

Is she taking any other medications now?

Does she have any health issues I should be aware of?

This is an antihistamine we give to dogs with allergies so depending upon how much she ingested, if she is taking other medications or if she has any health issues this might be OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
25th she didn't get much. The capsules were just pierced. I was gone from 7-9 and that's when she got them. She seems to be acting okay right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No health conditions or other meds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you can answer by text just let me know. I'm not sure if you are coming back with any more information
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much. A usual dose in dogs is 1mg per pound of body weight, so if she got very little (less than 1/10th of the two) then she will be just fine.

Even at higher doses the usual side effects are sleepiness, and sometimes nausea, loss of appetite and loose stools. But I highly doubt any of that will occur as little as she ingested.

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls, or we can continue this way.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any further questions for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Go ahead and opt out. Thanks for the info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think I will have to talk to anyone else