Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl got a hold of a bottle of hydroxyzine and broke open two capsules.
What size (milligrams) were these capsules?
How much do you believe she may have ingested (1/4, 1/2 of the capsules)?
How long ago did this occur?
How is she behaving now?
Is she taking any other medications now?
Does she have any health issues I should be aware of?
This is an antihistamine we give to dogs with allergies so depending upon how much she ingested, if she is taking other medications or if she has any health issues this might be OK.
Thanks very much. A usual dose in dogs is 1mg per pound of body weight, so if she got very little (less than 1/10th of the two) then she will be just fine.
Even at higher doses the usual side effects are sleepiness, and sometimes nausea, loss of appetite and loose stools. But I highly doubt any of that will occur as little as she ingested.
I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls, or we can continue this way.
Do you have any further questions for me?