Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I gave my dog the wrong flea pill (Trifexis). He is a 8 lb

Customer Question

I gave my dog the wrong flea pill (Trifexis). He is a 8 lb Yorkie and I gave him the 60-120 lb dog pill. It has been about 2 hours he has thrown up and his legs seem to be shaking when standing but seems fine when laying down.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Rascal and the accidental overdose. I would be happy to help you this evening. Unfortunately this is a high overdose with this medication and you are seeing the expected side effects. Vomiting and shaking and lethargy are very common with an overdose of this medication. At this point and time if he will rest and still be responsive and does not continue to vomit or become to lethargic then monitoring him closely will be ok. But if he continues to vomit, becomes more lethargic, or does not want to respond to you then you will want to have him seen by your vet or an emergency vet. He has already vomiting so hopefully that brought up some of the medication but he has absorbed some of it already. So watch him very close. Again if he gets any worse have him seen by your vet. Would be a good idea to have him seen tomorrow if you do not see any improvement or if he still isn't feeling great.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any idea of how long I should wait to start seeing an improvement?

You should see improvement by morning. If you do not have her checked out by your vet.