Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Should I try to clean the cyst with peroxide or should I

Customer Question

Should I try to clean the cyst with peroxide or should I bandage the area so it doesn't swing when he walks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry Bud has this lump, it sounds like Dr. Gabby is not available so I can assist you further

I would clean the area with an ivory soap and/ or oatmeal-based dog shampoo gently twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing then tap dry. As she mentioned an e-collar is best to prevent licking and can be purchased at your local pet store. Please no peroxide which has been found to delay wound healing

If it is swinging enough to be traumatized then yes it would be best to try to bandage it but please make sure that the bandage is not too tight and if this will not stay up simply limit his activity until your veterinarian opens tomorrow who can do more to treat this and get him more comfortable

You can also use benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itchiness and irritation but it might cause mild sedation

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today! I hope Bud is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!