Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My litter of 7 bulldogs are dying of suspected herpes

Customer Question

My litter of 7 bulldogs are dying of suspected herpes virus..my vet has remaining puppies on clavamox and nebulizing with gentocin and albuterol...Any other suggestions to save remaining puppies. Devastating!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I bred French Bulldogs. I know how hard it can be to have puppies that are not doing well. How old are your puppies?

I have a plan of action when I have 'fading puppies'. It can be very difficult and you can pour everything into these puppies and still loose them. I follow it and know that I am doing all that I can.... First, temperature. Make sure the puppies are kept warm enough, preferably with a heat lamp. Take their temperatures if you are not sure. The normal temperature is age dependent, but around 99 degrees at a minimum. If their body temperature drops herpes can be much more deadly. Second, hydration. I give all my fading puppies fluids under the skin. How much and how often depend on how old/big they are and how quickly they absorb it. I start with about 3cc/pound of puppy. Your veterinarian can show you how to do this. I repeat this dose every 4-12 hours depending on how fast they absorbed the previous treatment... if it was all gone in and hour then I do every 4 hours, if it is still there at 4 hours I will wait until 8 or 12 hours. There is no hard fast rule, you just have to get a feel for it. Third, nutrition. I tube every weak puppy with milk replacer (the tube is passed from there mouth to their stomach. Tubing can be scary. Your vet should be able to teach you how to do it. Even though it is scary, it can be a life saver. Weak puppies can not get enough nutrition and just get weaker. Weak puppies are very prone to aspiration. If you tell me how bit they are I can make recommendations for amounts to tube them. Last, good antibiotics, which you have covered.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know.

Dr. Stacy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My puppies are 2 weeks today. Always keep them under heat lamp...The mother had discharge out of her nose last week. Vet sending out one of the dead puppies to Cornell tomorrow. I wish he would have told me to put fluids under there skin. Great idea..thankyou will call him tomorrow and start this. Have been breeding bullies for 20 years and have not had herpes ever...so devastating
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

I hope that you get some answers soon. Best wishes to you.

Dr. Stacy