Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Our 6 yr old Maltese/Poodle dog has a reddish/purple spot

Customer Question

our 6 yr old Maltese/Poodle dog has a reddish/purple spot the side of a 50c piece on her right hip - what caused it and what do we do about it. It doesn't seem to bother her, but no hair grows in that area
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I would like to answer your question. Can you send a picture of the spot on her hip? Do you remember if she received a vaccination in that area?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What e-mail address do I use to send a picture of the area in question ? - m
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

There should be a way to directly upload the picture in jpg format into this feed. Try copying and pasting directly into your text box.

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

There is also a little paperclip button at the top of the text box where you can attach a picture that is saved on your computer.

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog this evening? Any change in the spot on the skin?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An old farmer with 8 dogs looked at the spot, said it was a 'hot spot' and recommended a treatment for her. So your answer was no help at all.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

You never sent a picture of the spot so I could not answer your question. There are numerous causes of reddish/purple spots on dogs so just your description was inadequate. Also, hot spots are usually very itchy and the dogs are licking and chewing aggressively at the spot, so your history of "it doesn't bother her" does not fit with a hot spot.

If you could send a picture of the spot, I would be very happy to help you find the best treatment for your dog.

Again, there is a paperclip button above your text box where you can attach a picture into this feed.

Best, ***** *****