Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 100lb boxer (7yrs old) had chronic diarrhea days, I fed m

Customer Question

my 100lb boxer (7yrs old) had chronic diarrhea for 2 days, I fed him rice and ground beef
for 2 days which stopped the diarrhea but he has had any bowel movement for 2.5 days.
should I wait or see a vet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Rocky but glad to hear that his diarrhea issues appear to be resolved.

Many dogs who have had loose stool issues will not produce a stool for several days once the diarrhea stops. It takes time for fecal material to re-form in the colon and thus a stool might not be seen for several days in these situations. In addition, we frequently don't feed our pets as much bland food as we would regular kibble or canned food so stool production will be decreased as a result.

It would be highly unusual for him to go from loose stools to being constipated in such short period of time so this latter problem isn't at all likely.

I would continue to monitor him and continue to feed him the bland diet (until you can evaluate the consistency of his next stool). I suspect he'll produce a stool sometime today or tomorrow at the latest.

If he becomes lethargic, starts to vomit, has abdominal pain, then a vet visit will be prudent.

I hope this helps to reassure you about him. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Rocky. How's he doing? I'm assuming he's had a bowel movement (or several of them) by now? Deb