Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Im on ssi and i dont get paid till the 1st... my dachshund

Customer Question

im on ssi and i dont get paid till the 1st... my dachshund has a little blood in her urine..and now she's having a hard time breathing
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm so sorry to hear that your pup isn't feeling well! I appreciate that you've turned to us for help and understand that veterinary care can be expensive. I will do my absolute best to help you and your pup, but please remember the limitations that I'm working with over the internet. With that in mind, unfortunately, I may not be able to give you the information that you're hoping for.

A little blood in the urine I can pass off as a possible urinary tract infection if that were her only symptom. A urinary tract infection would need antibiotics to treat, but it isn't the sort of thing that needs a weekend trip to the expensive ER. It'd be uncomfortable for her but likely not life threatening to wait until the 1st.

Unfortunately, labored breathing is the one symptom that I can never suggest waiting out. If she is really having difficulty breathing, this could be a life threatening situation for her. Labored breathing can indicate severe respiratory or cardiac troubles and it's one symptom that I never ignore when my clients call on me. Like I said, I know that this is likely not the news that you were hoping to hear, but it'd not be professional or ethical of me to tell you otherwise - I hope that you can understand.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you this evening - we can chat until I've covered them all.

~Dr. Sara