Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is lethargic, first started with panting, he threw up

Customer Question

My dog is lethargic, first started with panting, he threw up once, and now he is drooling really bad. He is a 1yr old daschund mix.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any diarrhea?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other symptoms. Just happened. Didn't see him get into anything. Not sure how much he weighs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Can you open his mouth and make sure he has nothing stuck under the tongue, teeth, gums, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already checked, nothing there. At the park he was drinking water and playing just fine. I have 2 other dogs that are fine.
Towards the end he was sitting on me crying a little. But at home he started panting, then threw up, now he's drooling
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, he is drooling likely as a consequence of vomiting, he could be nausea. The big question is: Why is he lethargic and vomiting? These symptoms can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands on examination with family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. This will help settle his stomach.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter