Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 11 yo was recently diagnosed with chronic arthritis after

Customer Question

My 11 yo was recently diagnosed with chronic arthritis after extensive testing. Is on 2 tablets per day of steroids, and just days of tapering the pm dose to half of tablet. Has been off the doxycycline for 1 1/2 weeks. Friday vomited twice and diarrhea for 3 days. Was acting ok this morning came home and dog vomited twice. Fever is fine 101.8. Not eating laying around somewhat heavier breathing and very sad face. My vet is closed until Monday. If not any better by tomorrow I will take to vet hospital.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Kelsey. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Why was he taking the doxycycline?

How much does he weigh, and how much steroids (how many milligrams) are the pills? Steroids can cause vomiting and diarrhea. They can also cause heavy breathing and panting.

If you look at his gums, are they a normal bright pink?

I see extensive testing was done. Was he tested for low thyroid? Low thyroid, hypothyroidism, can cause heavy breathing and a sad face.

Let me know about his dose of medication, and what else I can answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Have you been able to see what I wrote? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. We did take Kelsey to the hospital Saturday night and unfortunately had to put him down. He was in congestive heart failure.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear that. My sincere condolences. Thank you for letting me know. Rebecca