Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

MY DOG IS 12 YEAR OLD SHE IS A CAIRN TERRIER. SHHAS SKIN

Customer Question

MY DOG IS 12 YEAR OLD SHE IS A CAIRN TERRIER. SHHAS SKIN THAT IS DARK GRAY ALL OVER NOW . SHE IS LOSING HER HAIR AND ITCHES A LOT. I WAS TOLD I BATHER TOO OFTEN . I GAVE HER MEDS I WAS TOLD SHE HAS FLEAS. ALL ARE NOT. I HAVE GONE TO MORE THAN ONE VET. SHE EATS WELL AND PLAY WITH ME BUT SLEEPS A LOT.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sable. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Does the dark gray skin have normal hair, or is the hair thin or missing? Sometimes dogs with chronic allergies will get a secondary yeast infection from all the scratching. Yeast is very itchy, so then they scratch even more. Usually if the skin turns gray from a yeast infection, there is hair loss, and the skin is also thickened and moist. If you could post a picture of her skin, that might help.

If this is due to a yeast infection, there are two parts to treating. One, we treat with anti yeast products: oral medication like fluconazole; topical yeast medication like miconazole; and bathing in shampoos that contain miconazole or ketoconazole. Some of these are available over the counter, but you need a prescription for the oral medication.

Two, control the itching. If he keeps scratching, the yeast infection will not go away. This can mean prescription medications like prednisone, over the counter anti histamines like Claritin or Benadryl, or the newest allergy medication for dogs called Apoquel. About 80% of dogs improve and have their itching controlled with Apoquel. You would have to get this from your veterinarian.

There are also hormonal disorders like hypothyroidism and Cushing's disease that can cause these kind of skin problems. We do blood tests to diagnose these, and treat with prescription medication.

Let me know if you can post a photo, or have any more questions. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Have you been able to read what I wrote? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sable. How is everything going?