Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

What is the best thing to do? One of my dogs attacked my

Customer Question

What is the best thing to do? One of my dogs attacked my other one . Is it likely to happen again? If so, I would like to find her a good home but I am not sure how to go about it.
She never bit anyone before and certainly not a human. I think she will do well in a single dog household. She has been a good dog otherwise, but high strung.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dogs. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It has been my experience that once a dog attacks another dog in the house, that it does happen again, and it does tend to get worse. If either of the dogs is not spayed or neutered, then having them spayed or neutered may help.

How old is the dog you are considering rehoming? The younger she is, the better chance of finding another home. What breed is she? If she is all or mostly a particular breed, then the breed rescue group for that breed may be able to help. There is a rescue group for nearly every breed, but they may not be in your immediate area. Still, contacting breed rescue for that breed, even if not nearby, would be a good place to start; they may have connections closer to you. If you tell me what kind of dog she is, if she is spayed, and where you live, I could help you search.

Your local shelter is always a good place to start to find her a new home. Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is pure bred, but no papers due to "too long hair". She is fixed.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

What breed is she? Where do you live?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Can I help with or answer anything else? Knowing her breed will help me to find a breed rescue organization.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?