Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is a female pitbull. She's almost 2 years old.

Customer Question

My dog is a female pitbull. She's almost 2 years old. She's had her parvo shots and is all up to par on those. And the last week, off and on she's been acting sick and then starts feeling better, then sick then better, etc and so on. Buy she just randomly
up chucks. Even though she's barely eaten this weem. It was all like clear liquidy stuff but not anymore. It's thick and stinky bad and yellowish, if that matters? Please help, should I take her to the vet or is this a quick at-home remedy ??? Please HELP
ASAP
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does it smell like specifically?

Is she keeping water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea? Any black stool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It smells like poop. She does keep water down unless she just drinks a large amount in a little time. Her gums are pink and about half moist and half sticky. No stomach tenderness. Possible on the eating thing but not likely. And no diarrhea or black stools
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if she has been showing these signs of persistent nausea for the past week, we do need to tread with care. Still, if she can keep water down and those gums are moist, then we can try supportive care for the next 12-24 hours to see if we can settle her stomach and get her eating. Of course, if we find she doesn't settle or cannot keep the supportive care I will now outline down, then we'd want a check with he vet to rule out infectious issues (ie bacteria, viruses, protozoa), pancreatitis, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items.

In regards ***** ***** you can try just now, as long as she isn't severely affected, then we can try her with an antacid. There are a number that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if she has any health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet at this point.

Otherwise if she can keep this down and once it has had time to absorb, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that keeping them on this until they are settled and then slowly weaning her back to her normal diet.

Overall, if this has been going on for a week already, we do want to be careful here. We can use the above just now to settle her stomach. But if she doesn't respond to keeps vomiting, then we'd use that as our sign to have her seen. Her local vet can pinpoint which of the above is to blame for her signs and start her on injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Karma. How is everything going?
nekovet