Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

How are canine vaccinations usable after the expiration

Customer Question

How long are canine vaccinations usable after the expiration date?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Unfortunately, there are so many variables considering the vaccines...how they are stored, how long in one place, etc. that we never trust a vaccine past the expiration date. WE never know for sure whether the efficacy of that vaccine is current or if it has lost some of its efficacy so never use it past the expiration date...that is what the purpose of is this date. testing has been done telling the researchers that it may lose efficacy after that date and why take that chance? If you want your vaccine to have its best effect for your dog, purchase one that is not expired or have your vet give it for you.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Makes complete sense. I have some that are about 3 weeks out and didn't know if they would be okay or not.

Even at 3 weeks, I would worry that they would not have complete efficacy...they are not expensive and better to be safe than sorry...:-)))