Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I HAVE TWO DOGS ONE OF THEM JUMPED UP ON THE COUNTER TO GET

Customer Question

I HAVE TWO DOGS ONE OF THEM JUMPED UP ON THE COUNTER TO GET A DOG TREAT THAT WAS LEFT OUT AND THERE WAS ALSO A THREADED NEEDLE UP THERE. THE TREAT IS GONE BUT I ALSO CANT FIND THE NEEDLE ANYWHERE. THEY BOTH SEEM TO BE OK BUT IM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee ones today.

How long ago did the needle go missing?

Do you know which dog may have done this?

How large is that dogs?

If you press on their belly, any tensing, pain, or discomfort?

How much thread was on the needle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the same time I noticed the dog treat missing- no idea which dog-pit bull & cane corso-how hard should I press? with little pressure they seem ok- 8 to 10 inches of thread approx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
around 900 pm noticed them gone
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Just firm pressure, we are just looking for them being sensitive to palpation.

Otherwise, since we have 2 dogs that seem well but may have ingested a needle (which can cause issue if it were to poke through the gut wall or if one end of the thread gets caught in the stomach and pulls the guts into folds), we do want to tread with care and closely monitor them both.

We could of course have them each xrayed to see if there is a needle in their GI and what it is up to, but otherwise we'd want to start some supportive care. In regards ***** ***** options, to start, since we have a suspect sharp edged item in the gut, we can take a few steps to reduce any damage caused by this moving through the GI. To do so, I would suggest feeding each dog a "Vaseline sandwich." To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces. I know it will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the needle and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. In the case of the Vaseline, this will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage.

Afterwards, we will want to start them both on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage anything lurking to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this to pass, you do want to keep a close eye on both dogs. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on the stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of the needle causing issue and we'd want the dog showing those signs to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye both of these wee ones. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that the suspect dog has passed it in stool (do monitor for that) or that they didn't eat it at all. But again if we have any doubts, needles are an item that will show up on xray, so we can confirm whether one did eat this if need be.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet