Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My chihuahua is excessively licking her vagina and keeps

Customer Question

My chihuahua is excessively licking her vagina and keeps urinating all over house particularly by her food and water bowls. This morning she keeps crying. She has also put on a lot of weight over last month but vet said she was fine. She is not herself.
What could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on her signs, we would be most concerned that your lass has a urinary tract infection (UTI). Less common reasons that could also cause her accidents, discomfort, and vaginal licking would be urinary crystal troubles, bladder stones, kidney infections, and bladder tumors (less likely if she is young).

Now if we focus on the most common cause, then we do need to consider infection within the urinary tract. This is quite common in female dogs and often arises from E.coli (a normal GI bacteria) gaining access to the bladder by fecal contamination of the female genitalia. If you have ever had cystitis, you will know that it is not a pleasant infection to have. We often see affected animals straining to urinate frequently while only producing small amounts of urine. The urine can be blood stained or can also be cloudy, or showing increased mucus/discharge. The reason we see these changes is due to the infection causing irritation and inflammation of the bladder. And this irritation, of course, also makes the bladder feel tense and sore.

To give her some relief at the moment, you can try to increase her urine dilution via increasing her fluid intake. This can be achieved by tempting her to drink or you can offer wet food, (as this is 35% water) to sneak some water into her system. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH andmaking the bladder more comfortable.

Now while these urine dilution steps will help flush out bacteria and soothe that inflamed bladder, it often won't clear the infection on its own. Therefore, in your wee ones’s case, I would advise that is prudent for her to see her vet (urgently, though not an emergency situation).

If possible, especially since crystals in the urine can cause underlying cystitis infections and are a problem itself, you should try and collect a urine sample (that can be a challenge since she is only producing small volumes). The vet will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals or glucose (a marker of diabetes). If infection is found, the vet will also be able to prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain relief to make her comfortable and clear the infection.

Overall, all of her signs are high suspicious of a bladder infection. Therefore, do consider increasing her fluid intake and monitoring her, but also collecting a urine sample and getting her checked by her vet. The vet can perform a full examination to rule out those other concerns for her. And if a bladder infection is confirmed they can get her onto treatment and get her back to normal.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr.B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate myanswer when you are satisfied so that I may receive credit for my assistance.Thank you & have a great day. : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has since begun having a brown jelly like discharge from her vagina
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Has she been spayed?

Does the discharge have an odor?