Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have 3 shar peis and all of them are suffering from skin

Customer Question

I have 3 shar peis and all of them are suffering from skin problems
They have bubbles on they're skin and extremely dry skin too which is resulting in a lot of hair shedding
What kind of treatment could be possible to solve this?
They've been suffering from this for quite a while and there isn't a vet that found a solution as they're not very familiar with shar peis here.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually live in amman - Jordan not in the US and it's very hard to find a vet with good shar pie experience here.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dogs. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. My name is Rebecca.

I can't say for sure without seeing them, but this sounds like cutaneous mucinosis of Shar Peis to me. Here is a picture:

http://www.wvc.vetsuite.com/Templates/ContentPages/More_Info/ClinicContentPage.aspx?guid=69526466-f236-4bec-ae35-1a5a151004b1

If that is what is causing the bubbles, the only effective treatment is steroids like prednisone. It is not recommended to use it unless the lesions are severe and the dog is uncomfortable from the bubbles because the steroids will shut down mucinosis, but mucinosis is what gives Shar Peis their wrinkles and in addition to losing the bubbles they may lose their wrinkles as well. You can try applying topical cortisone ointment to the bubbles; that might help but not affect the wrinkling.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Geisha doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?