Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog began yelping loudly when walking m. He was shaking

Customer Question

My dog began yelping loudly when walking him. He was shaking and panting heavily. Is very unsettled, appears to be in pain from his side as yelps out when I touch it. He has yelped a few times earlier this week but not as severe as now. What might be wrong with him and what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Oscar. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. As you can imagine, there are quite a number of possible causes for Oscar's behavior this evening, and the main concern I have is that Oscar seems to be in pain right now. These symptoms could be due to anything from direct trauma, to an allergic reaction ( a bug or bee bite/sting for example), a toxicity, a primary gastrointestinal issue like bloat, a primary musculoskeletal problem, or even an internal organ issue, to name just a few potential causes here. Whatever the case, you are going to need to keep a very close eye on Oscar for the next little while if you can. Don't be tempted to give him any human pain relief medications, as the large majority of these are toxic to dogs and cats. Please do keep Oscar quiet and rested if you can. If he seems very painful, in distress, or has any issues breathing right now, then you are best to get him seen by your local vet or ER vet straight away.

If he has settled since you first sent your message through, then please continue to keep him quiet and keep an eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If any of the parameters above aren't right, if he continues to seem to be in pain, or if he has any issues breathing, please get him seen right away. Because there are quite a range of possible causes for Oscar's symptoms tonight, it is always better to play it safe and have him seen. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would check in quickly to see how you got on with Oscar. I hope you were able to get him seen and that he is all ok now?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E