Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog has heart valve disease and she has been on

Customer Question

My dog has heart valve disease and she has been on enalapril, lasix and vetmedin for about 16 months. she is suddenly collapsing with little effort like running up the stairs..should i increase her lasix...she was coughing a bit last night
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Molly is sick. I am very concerned about her heart since you noted that she has had heart disease for over a year. Dog hearts can usually compensate for valve disease for a long time, but after a while the muscle becomes weak. Collapse usually happens when the heart is not pumping blood forward like it should. I would consider a possible arrhythmia or irregular heart beat leading to the collapse. This is from the heart muscle becoming damaged from stretching for so long.

How much Lasix is Molly on right now? I would increase the dose by about 50% above what you are already giving her. I would also recommend taking her to your regular veterinarian in the morning so that they can perform an EKG to evaluate the electrical activity in her heart.

Best of luck to you and Molly,

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi, How is Molly this evening? Is her cough any better? Any change in her collapsing episodes? Do you have any more questions for me that I can help you with?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar