Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is gagging like she has a little hair stuck in her

Customer Question

my dog is gagging like she has a little hair stuck in her throat from a squeeky toy. she is a 5 year old 4 lb miniature pinscher. how can i get it to come up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did you actually see her eat hair from this toy?

Can she eat and drink normally?

Has she had any vomiting?

Any chance she has eaten anything else she should have (ie anything sharp or abrasive)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw her chewing for a second last night after playing with the toy. It is a small short haired toy. She did eat and drink. She just looks a little uncomfortable compared to her usual self. She does sort of a raspy gag occasionally. No vomiting and i am pretty sure she hasn't eaten anything else.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if she has eaten and drank between now and last night, then it is unlikely that there is a hair in her throat at this time. Any food passing down the throat would have pushed this down as well. Instead, I would be more concerned that her gagging is potentially related to the hair or something else causing irritation or abrasion to the throat as it passed down. Otherwise, we have to also appreciate that the hair may be a red herring, as these signs could also be related to an infectious tracheitis, esophagitis, or a brewing upper airway infection (ie kennel cough, parainfluenza).

In all cases though, there are some steps we can take to try to soothe her throat. First, you can try her with plain over the counter glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Typically we will give a milliliter (~1/4 teaspoon) as needed. This will aid to soothe his throat no matter the cause. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM. If you choose to use this one, I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any containing other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half)teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Finally, if you have not already, do consider offering soft foods for the next few days to avoid further irritation.

Overall, we'd not expect a hair to be caught at this stage. Instead, it is possible we have a residual irritation from this or possibly a brewing infectious process. Therefore, we'd want to use the above and monitor her. If it is just irritation, the above should settle her signs. But if they linger, then we'd want to consider a check with her vet to make sure any infection risk is nipped in the bud for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I made sure I only gave her soft food so maybe that's why she was able to eat.
She has done this before so I dont think she is sick. She also was licking her leg a little last night as well. Can i give her honey if she has had pancreatitis in the past? So 1/4 tsp isn't too much for her size? And if needed, how much robitussin should I give her. She's only 4 lbs. I guess I will start with the honey, so just need dosage for her size. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

If she was licking her leg, that may be another source for hair irritating her throat. Otherwise, you can give honey to her if she has had a pancreatitis bout in the past since it is not high in fat. Otherwise, a quarter teaspoon is just right for her size, but you can try a half dose if you wish. Otheriwse, a 4lb dog can have 2ml of Robitussin.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i just give her the honey now or wait and see if she starts gagging again?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I would lean towards doing it now to offset any further gagging, but you can choose to wait and see. There is no wrong answer for that. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you very much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )