Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Ihave a 12 week old pup. she has loose bloody stool. I

Customer Question

Ihave a 12 week old pup. she has loose bloody stool. I haven't seen any worms in her stool. She will be happy and energetic one day an droopy the next. What could be the problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

We can see bloody stools in pups for a range of reasons. Worms usually cause diarrhea but do not tend to irritate the colon to a point where we see blood. Instead, our main concerns here would be viruses (ie Parvo, rotavirus, distemper), bacteria (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter, and anaerobes causing colitis), and protozoa (ie coccidia, giardia).

In this situation, we need to tread with care. Some of these are quite dangerous for pups but all have the potential to cause dehydration, weakness, anemia, and could lead to her deteriorating. Therefore, it would be ideal to have her checked plus a fecal sample tested to identify which of these are present. Depending on those findings, treatment can be targeted to nip this in the bud before she gets to a critical point where she may need hospitalization.

Overall, the above would be our concerns with the signs you have reported. Further to worming, you can put her on light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Whichever you choose you can add a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran to help firm up her stools. But otherwise, we need to diagnose which is present so that appropriate treatment can be started to clear this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thank you and agree with your answer.I'll get an appointment asap,
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I do think that is the best plan of action to just get this sorted before it can take any toll on her.

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had hook worms. Parvo was negative. She was given a wormer and some liquid antibiotic. She is doing great now.I feed here a scrambled egg for breadfast. She loves them.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that she responded to treatment and is doing well.

Take care and all the best to you both

Dr. B