Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog (12 yrs., 52 lb. in good health Vizsla) may have

Customer Question

Good Morning,
My dog (12 yrs., 52 lb. in good health Vizsla) may have swallowed a Salicylic acid disc this morning (40% strength contained in a disc used for removing plantas warts or foot calluses)
Can you shed any light whether i should bring him to a vet or just keep an eye on him.
Thanks,
Rick Morley
Scottsdale, Az.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon Rick and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

These discs contain a large amount of aspirin which can cause stomach ulcers in dogs. If this was within 2 hrs of ingestion, induce vomiting by following these instructions:

Give 1 teaspoons of peroxide per 5 pounds of weight and wait 15 minutes. If no vomiting, then try it again. You can do this 3 times safely.

If this has been longer, your guys is at risk for an ulcer which can cause devastating digestive issues for your guy, since he is older. I would recommend, to be safe, Rick, that you take your guy to your vet for observations. Any vomiting or anorexia will show there is a problem.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta