Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our pekeapoos eye bulged out when she got excited. Our vet

Customer Question

our pekeapoos eye bulged out when she got excited. Our vet put it back in and we have followed instructions. She got an ulcer in her eye and has been prescribed antibiotic drops plus lubricant. My husband is the only one the dog will allow to put the lubricant in her eye. It is prescribed 3 times per day 30 minutes after the antibiotic. Is there a drop form of this over the counter (like Walmart) that I can use instead as she will allow my teens and I to do drops but not ointment.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

That is unfortunate that she won't allow the lubricant to be used, as this is preferable to drops since it will last longer. That said, you can use an OTC artificial tear drop formulation (example). Do avoid any that are listed as "getting the red out".Though if you do so, you need to watch her eye moisture, as she may need it done more often with this formulation. As well, it'd be ideal to have your husband at least apply the ointment version at bed time, so that the eyes are as protected as possible overnight.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )