Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My dog is not eating or drinking, is very lethargic and is

Customer Question

My dog is not eating or drinking, is very lethargic and is having trouble getting up and down and walking
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. Unfortunately, these are not very good signs in a 10 year old Boxer. More than likely what you are dealing with is some type of intra abdominal cancer. The very best thing you can do in this situation is to have her put down with humane euthanasia so she does not have to suffer . I am very very sorry to have to give you this type of news. This job is really hard when we have to deliver this type of news. I do hope that this has helped you though in some way to help your little girl.

Please hit arte this question as that is the only way I am compensated. I will be happy to answer follow up questions once you rate my answer. Also I will be retiring for the evening soon but I check my computer each night and will get back to you by tomorrow night. Take care, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been acting older and older over the last several months. She always gets up in the night to go to the bathroom, last night she never woke me up. It was well into the morning when she did get up (not easily) and o took her outside
She then laid in front of the couch and has barely moved all day. Twice she ha a managed to get up and go just outside the front door, but her rear legs seem very stiff and her paws fold under/drag making it very difficult to take steps. When I called the local emergency vet they have recommended I bring her in for X-rays and other tests. My gut tells me it's a waste of time and money... But my heart tells me that's the right thing to do.
You seem very confident in your recommendation to have her put to rest... And I certainly respect your knowledge
Should I take her to the vet tonight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello? Are you able to answer my additional questions tonight?
Thank you
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is DRB. Sorry I missed your question last night. I have seen many dogs in your little girls situation. And with what you are describing along with her age, it is not so much a waste of money as it is the outcome is very likely to be the same with all you have described. There is about a 95% chance you will have to put her to sleep no matter what else you do. I made the recommendation not in an effort to save you money but rather to save her suffering. I hope this clears things up for you. Certainly, if you have more questions I will get back to you tonight after work. Take good care, DRB