Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 12yr old west ghland terrier has diarrhoea days. she

Customer Question

My 12yr old west highland terrier has diarrhoea for 4 days. she picked up a bit yesterday but today is loose again. She's still eating and drinking and there is no blood in the stools
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if she has had diarrhea for four days, we do have some concerns here for Cassie. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). We can also see diarrhea secondary to metabolic or organ issues at her age.

Still, since she is otherwise well in herself, we can try some supportive care for her. To start, we can put her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs(made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used(ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk here with this going on a few days, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there area few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Otherwise, we want to encourage her to drink by offering fresh water +/- flavoring it with low salt chicken broth if need be.

Finally, since you have not seen blood in those stools,you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate,these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores,and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger this diarrhea we are seeing with Cassie. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, and check a fecal sample to pinpoint the cause for this loose stool. Depending on their findings, they can dispense treatment (ie antibiotics, anti-protozoals, etc) as needed to clear this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions,please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cassie. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did view your response thank you and it was helpful. Cassie is feeling better now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear that Cassie is feeling better and back to herself. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )